A collection of world building resources.
- /r/worldbuilding, reddit.com: If you are into worldbuilding and you do not know about this place yet, this would be the first link you should click. They also have their own list of resources, many of which are also included on this page.
- Atomic Rockets, projectrho.com: A must-read for any sci-fi worldbuilder.
Starting a World
- Alpine folklore
- Aztec mythology
- Finnish mythology
- Germanic mythology
- Greek mythology
- Medieval legends
- Norse mythology
- The 4 stories we tell ourselves about death - Stephen Cave
- Worldbuilding: Fantasy Religion Design Guide
Culture & Politics
- 5 Basic Principles of Flag Design
- Culture-making checklist - neitherworldstories.blogspot.com
- Economics of English Agriculture in the Middle Ages
- Functional Model of the Late Medieval Village
- Government of a Late Medieval Village
- How much land does it take to support one human being?
- List of calendars
- List of Roman laws
- Medieval English society
- Political institutions of ancient Rome
- Royal and noble ranks
Climate & Ecology
- Biome reference
- Crash Course Biology: Ecology - Rules for Living on Earth
- Hypothetical types of biochemistry
- On the Ecology of the Orc
- How do you realistically structure space battles and planetary sieges?
- Rocketpunk Manifesto’s Space Warfare
- Ascensions’ Atlas style in Photoshop
- Ascension’s Atlas Style Tutorial - Revised Presentation (video).
- Cartographers’ Guild* PlaTec - Plate Tectonics simulator
- Historical city locations based on defence and commerce
- History of cartography
- lands - World generator using simulation of plates, rain shadow, erosion, etc.
- Madness of a Modern Writer’s Map Making Series
- Tectonics.js - 3D Plate Tectonics in Your Browser
- A pretty simple guide to basic tectonic scenarios, part 2.
- The History of Cartography - 6-book series on cartography. PDFs available.
- Crash Course World History: A series on the history of the world, covering pretty much everything. Notes.
- Past Challenges from /r/worldbuilding: Random challenges for the world building community.
- Flag Maker
- Free World Building Software
- Marvelous Designer - 3D tool for making clothing.
- Planetary Habitability Laboratory - Software Tools
- Vue - Realistic scenery generator.
- World Machine - Terrain generator.
- If The Earth Had Rings Like Saturn
- Medieval Life & The Hundred Years War
- Medieval Life
- Numbers in 5000 languages
- The Cartography Guild’s “Cartographer’s Choice” Winners
Cliches can serve both as warnings and inspirations.
- Adventure-Friendly World
- Always Chaotic Evil
- Blue Blood
- Fantasy Counterpart Culture
- Fantasy World Map
- Five Races
- Forbidden Zone
- Heroic Fantasy
- Law of Cartographical Elegance
- Left-Justified Fantasy Map
- Literature: The Tough Guide to Fantasyland
- Low Fantasy
- Magic A Is Magic A
- Medieval European Fantasy
- Medieval Stasis
- Our Orcs Are Different
- Royal Blood
- Schizo Tech
- The Empire
- The Fair Folk
- The Federation
- Weapon of Choice
- World Building